The TT Mk1, which was produced in Gyor in Audi’s Hungarian factories, is a reliable car. It has had its share of breakdowns, like every car, but on the whole it seems to age in the best of conditions. The engine can easily withstand high mileage, which is quite rare for a sports car. There are still a few things to watch out for, including:
- Recurring problem of ignition coil on 1.8T engines
- Timing belt and water pump maintenance (replacement approximately every 100,000 km). The timing chain on the V6 3.2 is known to have problems with out of sync. Replacement can be very expensive.
- DSG gearbox maintenance (change of gearbox oil and filter every 65,000 km or every three years).
- Fragile anti-roll bar and plastic clamps.
- Risk of corrosion on roof rails (Coupé), sills, rocker panels and inner wings.
- Opacification of plastic headlight covers.
- Fragility of gauges.
- Wear and tear on the Roadster’s soft top .